How to Take Care of Oily Skin
We know how important it is to establish a skincare routine to maintain healthy skin no matter the time of year. We have already taken the time to learn more about sensitive skin and combination skin. This time, Anh, one of our beauticians, offers us her tips for taking care of oily skin in all climates.
What Is Oily Skin?
“Oily skin is skin that overproduces sebum. It is mainly recognized by its shiny appearance, but it is also characterized by irregularities and imperfections in texture and complexion, either dilated pores or a dull complexion,” reveals Anh. Genetics, stress, hormones, dehydration, temperature changes, and irritants are some of the factors that can cause oily skin.
An Ideal Routine for Oily Skin
To properly maintain healthy skin, Anh suggests two routines adopting products from the two ranges used for aesthetic treatments at Bota Bota.
Cosmetic care routine for combination skin, with Eminence :
- Cleanser (Clear Skin, Gel Mangosteen, Gel Stone Crop, Kombucha Cleansing Foam)
- Tonic Lotion (Lime Refresh Tonic, Stone Crop Mist, Mangosteen Revitalizing Mist, Kombucha Balancing Essence, Pineapple Refining Toner)
- Eye contour (Wild Plum Eye Cream)
- Serum (Clear Skin, Mangosteen Concentrate, Kombucha)
- Moisturizer (Clear Skin, Stone Crop, Arctic Berry, Strawberry Hyaluronic Hydrator, Red Currant)
- Exfoliant (Stone Crop Fizzfoliant, Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant)
- Mask (Clear Skin, Stone Crop, Raspberry)
Cosmetic care routine for combination skin, with Babor :
- Cleanser (HY-ÖL and Phytoactive Combination/Balancing Duo, Deep Cleansing Foam, Refining Enzyme & Vitamin C Cleanser)
- Tonic Lotion (Soothing Rose Toner, Cleansing Tonic)
- Eye contour (Moisturizing Eye Gel-Cream, Vitalizing Eye Cream)
- Serum (Balancing, Purifying)
- Moisturizer (Balancing, Purifying)
- Exfoliating (Gentle Peeling Cream, Clarifying Peeling Cream)
- Mask (Purifying, Vitalizing)
“It may seem counter-intuitive, but it’s important to hydrate oily skin as much as possible since oily skin is often lacking in moisture.”
A Few Tips for Oily Skin Routines
Some skin types have a tendency to produce excess sebum in order to protect themselves and maintain their suppleness. “We must therefore control sebaceous secretions and mattify the skin while avoiding drying it further, whether with abrasive alcohol-based products or with too frequent exfoliation.” To do this, Anh advises using gentle cleansers and light water-based moisturizers. “Non-comedogenic formulas are also highly recommended to prevent other problems that oily skin can cause, such as acne or asphyxiated skin.”
Beyond the Routine
Another thing to consider for all skin types, but especially oily skin? Nutrition. “You are what you eat, and that’s very much reflected in your skin,” says Anh. Certain foods cause inflammation, which subsequently generates more sebaceous secretions. Good lifestyle habits are also essential. “Exercise also helps to oxygenate and detoxify the skin. And of course, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.”