Soup’s on! Hot, comforting recipes
Fall’s colourful pageantry is not only breathtaking, it also ushers in the return of the bitter cold. Fortunately, the brisk autumn breeze is the perfect excuse for indulging in that warmest of meals: soup!
Here are a few delicious soup recipes.
Autumn Cream Soup
Source: Plaisirs santé
– 3 carrots
– 1 medium celeriac (600 g)
– 1 large onion
– 1 clove garlic
– 60 g (4 tbsp) fresh goat cheese
– 4 sprigs of chives
– Salt and pepper
– Peel the carrots, celeriac and onion, then chop into pieces.
– Bring 4 cups of water to a boil, then salt. Add vegetables, cover and let cook in boiling water for 25 minutes.
– With a hand blender, reduce vegetables to a puree.
– Peel garlic, remove germ, and grind clove over soup, also adding goat cheese.
– Garnish with chives to taste, and serve.
Lentil and Red Bell Pepper Soup
Source: Ricardo cuisine
– 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– ½ tsp ground turmeric
– ¼ tsp ground cumin seeds
– ¼ tsp ground coriander seeds
– 5 cups beef or chicken broth
– 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
– 1 tbsp tomato paste
– 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
– 2 green onions, chopped
– Salt and pepper
– In a large saucepan, soften bell peppers and onion in the oil.
– Season with salt and pepper, add spices and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
– Add broth, lentils, and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper.
– Bring to a boil. Cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils are cooked.
– Add cilantro and green onion, and serve.
Pumpkin and Curry Potage
Source: All Recipes
– 1 tbsp butter
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 tbsp curry powder
– 1 tsp ground cumin
– 4 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored and chopped
– 3 cups pumpkin puree
– 4 cups chicken broth
– 1 cup water
– 1 tsp sugar
– Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
– Add onion and garlic along with curry and cumin, and brown, stirring continuously, until onion becomes tender.
– With a blender, reduce soup to a puree.
– Pour into saucepan, heat over low heat, then serve.