Food for the soul
The essence of Valentine’s Day finds its roots in wellness and romance. One of its indispensable qualities is pleasure, which can come in all shapes and forms. A common misconception about this celebration is that purchasing chocolates or flowers are essential to your loved one’s happiness. Taking the time to cook a homemade meal is just as thoughtful – if not more – than purchasing Valentine’s Day basics. Cooking isn’t an easy task; it requires lots of patience and dedication. This easy 3-course meal is a quick and thoughtful way to impress your significant other on the day love is celebrated.
A DELICIOUS SALMON TARTARE AS AN APPETIZER
Prep time: 15 minutes
200g of fresh skinless salmon
1.5 teaspoons of french shallots finely chopped
1 tablespoon of fresh chives
30 ml (2 tablespoons) of olive oil
15 ml (1 tablespoon) of lemon juice
10 ml (1 tablespoon) finely chopped parsley
10 ml (1 tablespoon) of dijon mustard
10 ml (1 tablespoon) of chopped capers
Tabasco to your taste
Salt and pepper
1. Slice the salmon in small dices and place into a bowl.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
3. Serve immediately with a green salad or your favourite crouton.
A TASTY CREAMY PESTO SPINACH PASTA AS THE MAIN DISH
Prep time: 15 minutes
1/8 cup of butter
1/8 of flour
1 de of milk
1/2 tablespoon of pesto
1/4 tablespoon of salt
1 handful of fresh spinach
1 garlic clove
Salt and pepper to your taste
1. Melt butter in a medium sauce pan.
2. Incorporate flour and whisk until smooth.
3. Add in milk, cook at medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Serve on your choice of pasta!
VEGAN DARK CHOCOLATE AVOCADO TRUFFLES FOR DESERT
Prep time: 1 hour (chill for 45 minutes)
Portions: 12 Truffles
7oz of dark chocolate chips
1 medium sized avocado
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1. Dice the avocado and remove it from it’s flesh. Mash it up.
2. Melt dark chocolate in a bowl.
3. Add the avocado mix and the vanilla extract to the bowl and mix until the texture is smooth.
4. Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
5. Scoop out the mix with a tablespoon and roll into balls with your palms.
6. Roll the balls in cocoa powder until they’re completely covered.